• get a quote


get a quote

open shop sign

Your Guide To Retailer Insurance

There’s nothing quite like running your own retail business is there? From creating stunning shop window displays that draw in your clientele and advising them on the best products for them, to choosing the employees, the latest stock and handling all of the finances, this role certainly keeps you on your feet. Regardless of how many similarities some shops may have, we know that no two are ever the same, and neither is the level of cover needed to protect it. If you’ve been wondering about the policies you actually need to keep your shop, boutique or high street store protected, then read this detailed guide.


Retailer Insurance can be broken down into various options, including:


Public Liability

  • Protects your shop against claims of injury or death made by members of the public.
  • Covers you for any damages made to property such as personal data, or damages that occur due to the products you sell.
  • Reimburses you for accidental trespassing on your property or interference with light, water or space.
  • Compensates for any wrongful arrest or false imprisonment.


Product Liability

  • Compensates for any faults, defects or poor workmanship that caused injury to a customer and/or their property.
  • This also covers products you sell that you didn’t create or manufacture.
  • Protects your business where breaches of the Consumer Protection Act 1987 occur.


Employer Liability

  • Covers injury, illness or death claims made by employees, volunteers and contracted staff due to doing their job.
  • This extends to claims that occur because of business-related trips, whether physical or mental.
  • Covers the costs of court attendances and legal representation at any proceedings, including those in breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.


Stock Insurance

  • Compensates you should your stock be stolen, broken or damaged beyond repair, by replacing it.
  • This includes that caused by natural disasters such as fires and floods, as well as deterioration due to refrigeration issues such as escaped fumes or unexpected rises or falls in temperature.
  • Covers you should a theft result in damage to your shop.


Seasonal Increases

  • On top of your ‘sum insured’, an additional 30% can be covered, especially useful during Christmas, Public and Bank Holidays.


Business Interruption

  • Should you have to close your shop due to structural damage, unexpected incidences such as a murder or an outbreak of a disease, then you will be compensated.
  • If your shop suffers a cyber-attack, making access to computer systems and/or databases impossible, then you’ll be covered.
  • Reimburses you for shop events that have to be postponed, cancelled or relocated resulting in loss of profits.
  • Any outstanding debt balances will be repaid to you.
  • Provides cover for loss of gross income.


Loss Of Money

  • Covers loss of money either stolen or lost while in transit, being stored in a bank night safe, at your home or home of your business partner or at your premise.
  • ‘Money’ includes cash, cheques, postal orders, credit cards, gift tokens and premium bonds.
  • If money is also taken by an unauthorised employee, then this will be returned to you.



  • Covers the costs of removing and replacing damaged mirrors, shelves, display cases, frames and frameworks.
  • Replaces lettering, painting and alarm foil on glass due to breakages.
  • Includes boarding up costs.
  • Accidental damage is also covered, including that done to goods in display cases.


Goods In Transit

  • Covers goods while in transit in vehicles owned, leased or hired by you anywhere within the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and the Republic of Ireland.
  • Reimburses you for any damage done to stock while being loaded on, stored on or unloaded from said vehicles.


Legal Expenses

  • Covers the costs associated with legal defence, premise protection, employment disputes and injury, for example.
  • You’re also provided with tax protection, statutory licence protection and debt recovery, as well as compensation from contract and tenancy disputes.


Building Insurance

Your premise is protected against damage caused by:

  • Fire, lightning, explosions or earthquakes.
  • Storm, flooding or water escaping from pipes, appliances or tanks.
  • Riots, strikers, locked-out workers or civil commotion.
  • Subsidence, ground heave or landslip.
  • Falling trees or their branches.


Fixtures And Fittings

  • Compensates you for damage done to mirrors, carpets, artwork, shelving, clothing rails and furniture.


Are There Any Exclusions With Retailer Insurance?

Typical exclusions include:

  • Acts of terrorism or war.
  • Damage or loss caused by pollution or contamination.
  • Steam pressure boiler bursts.
  • Damage caused by beverage leakage.
  • Natural deterioration.


What Extensions Are Available With Retailer Insurance?

Typical extensions include:

  • Equipment, such as telephone systems, copiers, printers, cash registers, card machines, lifts and escalators.
  • Data recovery costs.
  • Debris removal.


Looking For Retail Insurance?

At JonSimon Insurance, we can cover you for all of the policies mentioned above, and we’ll advise you on the best combination for your shop.

To learn more about our Retailer Insurance, come say hello at our office in West Racliffe and you’ll be welcomed with coffee and a beneficial chat. Too busy for that? Then call us today on 0161 710 3043 or email us at


upward scroll button